For the past 3-4 years, Bihar’s Katihar district has been involved in Oyster Mushroom farming.
The reason Oyster Mushroom farming is picking up pace in Katihar is its cultivation does not require any land. It grows on all types of agricultural waste that is available free of cost.
The Senior Scientist and Chairman of Katihar Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Dr. Reeta Singh said Landless and needy individuals are regularly coming to learn Mushroom farming.
For those of you who do not know, the Katihar Krishi Vigyan Kendra is a Biotech Kisan Center where farmers from nearby districts come to learn about diverse types of farming and several other things.
Dr. Reeta said, currently, at least one thousand households in Katihar engage in commercial mushroom cultivation.
Mushroom cultivation is not just limited to Katihar but to some more districts of Bihar. Take the Anantpur Village of Nalanda as an example that has been declared as the Mushroom village by the state agriculture department in 2012. The Gopalganj district is also involved in Mushroom Cultivation.
Bihar Primarily Cultivates Three Types of Mushrooms
In Bihar, farmers are primarily cultivating three types of mushrooms.
- Oyster Mushroom
- Milky White Mushroom
- Button Mushroom
Oyster Mushrooms are the best-farmed mushrooms in Bihar. The reason is it takes lower input and is ready to be harvested in a shorter time. Oyster mushrooms are ready to be harvested in 20-25 days. They cost around Rs 200 per kg.
Compared to the Oyster Mushroom, the Milky White Mushroom is ready to be harvested in 57-60 days. Their cost is around Rs 300 per kg.
Button Mushrooms are most difficult to farm as it takes more time and cost in comparison to the Oyster and Milky Mushrooms.
Benefits of Eating Mushrooms
Below is the list of benefits associated with eating Mushrooms.
- Mushrooms are rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- They also are fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie, and low sodium food.
- Mushrooms are rich in Antioxidants that prevent you from aging and boost your immune system.
- In Mushroom Beta Glucan is present that boosts your heart health.
- Mushrooms are also rich in some essential B-vitamins that improve the digestive system, skin, and nervous system.
- Do you know that Mushrooms are also rich in copper that delivers oxygen to our body and keeps healthy bones and nerves?
In addition to the above, Mushrooms have several other health benefits.
Do you like mushrooms? Have you tasted one? Do let us know your favourite one in the comments down below.